My intention at Niu Health for a New You! is to help your body heal better. I use a synergistic, multi-faceted approach, including spinal alignment, deep tissue percussion, nutrition, emotional and energetic techniques in a way that is comprehensive and empowering. And the practice is continually evolving.
I wanted to share some health perspectives emerging from the work that I’ve done in practice:
- The body tightens as a stress response to toxicity (chemical and emotional), underuse, and trauma. Fascia is the white connective tissue that surrounds the body’s muscles and keeps organs in place. A tightening of these tissues can trap nerves and restrict blood flow and movement of the muscles, which puts the body out of balance. Every one of my patients—from office desk jockeys to graduate students, pregnant moms to retired golf players—have all found relief from the VibraCussor. My mom loves it and told me I need to make sure more people know about this therapy! It creates waves of compression that release fascial adhesions and nervous system tension, relax tense muscles and increase circulation and lymph flow. I use the VibraCussor to treat frozen shoulder, elbow, hand, wrist, hip, low back, gluteal, knee and foot problems, sternum and rib restrictions and muscle fatigue. In case you need a reminder, here is a great infographic on the health hazards of sitting.
- Those living with allergy and autoimmune disease are even more sensitive to toxic stressors. The immune system is ramped up and there are times when it feels uncomfortable to be living in your own body. The nervous system feels on edge; neck and shoulder muscles tighten; you feel terrible when you eat known food stressors and you get that fatigued, acidic “leaky gut” feeling. Emotionally, patients can feel distressed, frustrated and depressed. Many have felt relief and even remission by following a strict anti-inflammatory diet in addition to implementing other healthful habits. Receiving regular, compassionate care (including spinal alignment, nutritional support, neuroemotional and energetic clearing) can help you stay on top of your ever-changing health needs.
- Filter your water and decrease your fluoride exposure to maximize your thyroid function. Chlorine, present in unfiltered water and fluoride (in toothpaste, mouthwash and sometimes added to municipal water) are both chemicals that compete with iodine, which is essential for proper thyroid function. The thyroid affects your metabolism. An underactive thyroid could lead to symptoms of fatigue, cold intolerance, constipation, weight gain, and dry skin. In addition, chlorine byproducts and chloramines may be cancer causing. Fluoride can also cause arthritic symptoms and bone fracture well before the onset of crippling fluorosis, and can affect many other tissues besides bone and teeth, including the brain and thyroid gland. Enjoy 8-10 glasses (64-80 oz) of lukewarm, filtered water every day.
- You can have too much fruit. Through generations of cross-breeding, fruits are much higher in sugar than in the wild. A high fruit diet stresses insulin, glucagon and growth hormone production and alters gut flora; over time it could contribute to cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes, fatty liver, and may even fuel cancer cell growth. If you are overweight or have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes or yeast infections, consider limiting your daily intake to 1-2 fruit servings per day and avoid fruit juice. I have counseled some patients to do a fruit cleanse: eat only 1 fruit serving the first week, then 2 on week 2, 3 on week 3, and so on, until you get up to 1-2 per day. I have also found that citrus may not be the cure all for many people – citrus happens to be a common allergen which triggers histamine release. Histamines are a natural part of the body’s defense system, but in excess in those who are sensitive, they create allergic reactions. For those wanting to limit their exposure to toxic stressors, you may want to consider this Chinese medicine view on citrus.
- Avoiding foods that put you out of balance has a great side effect for some: weight loss. One patient steadily and healthfully lost 8 pounds, but more importantly, 6 inches off her waist in her quest to live healthier. Waist measurement is a better measure of knowing your risk of chronic disease. Getting enough sleep and exercise, managing stress and surrounding yourself with supportive friends/family are also keys to success in weight loss. You’ll save a lot of time and energy if you come to Niu Health Chiropractic for a spinal alignment along with a personalized nutrition consultation and food assessment prior to beginning your cleanse. Affordable periodic maintenance visits help your body and mind adjust to the changes entailed in becoming a better, healthier version of yourself.
I look forward to serving you to the best of my ability.
Dr. Chris T. Lipat, DC, CFMP, Reiki Master